Pai Gow is one of the most popular variants of poker. Playing it is fairly simple, although a knowledge of certain subtleties is still required. The betting involved in Pai Gow is easily assimilable. The table simply includes minimum and maximum bets according to designated limits. In Pai Gow bets are only placed once per round. The goal remains clear: Because you are playing against the Banker, your goal is to beat the bank while achieving a better score than its representative.
Pai Gow is played with a deck consisting of 53 cards which include a joker. The importance of this card depends on the variant being played. The joker may be used to supplement combinations such as suite or colour. It may also have an identical value to the aces. Detailed explanations on the value of each card as well as possible combinations can be found below.
Turns in Pai Gow are placed in categories arranged from the weakest to the strongest.
|Odd||1 King and 1 Ace minimum|
|Pair||2 identical cards|
|Two pairs||2 occurrences of two identical cards|
|Three of a kind||3 identical cards|
|Flush||A suite of 5 cards|
|Colour||5 cards of the same colour|
|Full||A combination of 3 identical cards and 2 identical cards|
|Square||4 identical cards|
|Flush||Suite containing cards of the same colour|
|Royal flush||Ace, king, queen, jack and 10 of the same colour|
Playing the game
- First of all, the player defines their bet and then places it on table.
- The player and the banker receive seven cards each.
- The participants then separate their cards into two different suites with the first consisting of five cards and the other, two cards.
- The suite of five cards must be greater than the second which contains two cards.
- Certain online casinos may provide the “House suite” option which divides cards into the two suites automatically.
Outcomes of the game
Various outcomes are possible at the end of a game:
- The first case is the dominance of the bank. If both the dealer's turns are stronger than those of the player, the Banker wins.
- If one of the Banker turns is stronger than the player’s but not the other, then a state of equality occurs. As a result, the player recuperates his bet and a new game is started.
- If both the Banker’s turns happen to be weaker, the player wins a sum which equals the amount they bet.
- However, the casino usually takes a commission of about 5 percent in the event of a player’s victory.
Pai Gow Poker Strategy
Winning at Pai Gow Poker requires a demanding nature. There are pointers that can help you increase your chances of winning although it is essential to apply them with great rigor and caution. It should also be noted the rules of Pai Gow Poker may vary according to the online casino hosting the game. Hence, a different strategy would be required although the changes would be minimal without significantly affecting your performance.
In addition to a rigorous approach which will ensure that you frequently avoid seeing your balance fall steeply, it is advisable to avoid crowded tables, to play the house when you are not the Banker and apply the four handy pointers provided below in order to enhance your chances of winning Pai Gow Poker.
• Possessing a substantial balance
• Remembering to pay commissions
• Remembering to take a break
• Playing as the Banker whenever the opportunity arises
Configuration 1: Possessing a substantial balance
There is a simple and quick solution for succeeding at Pai Gow Poker. The only catch is that it requires the player to have a larger balance than other players at the table. A significant balance is required so that a player can take on the role of the Banker, in order to be able cover the bets placed by other players. Taking on the role of the Banker will provide you with significant advantages including: rapidly increasing the odds in your favour, enabling you to win larger amounts.
Configuration 2: Remembering to pay commissions
It is important to remember that Pai Gow Poker winners are required to pay a 5% commission on all of their earnings. It is therefore advisable to pay a portion of your balance before bidding. You must ensure you have sufficient funds to last the course. Finally, it is worth noting that there is absolutely no means by which anyone can avoid paying any commissions. No concessions will be made in the event of one or more losses. Once a bet is won, the casino management immediately and unfailingly charges 5% of the amount.
Configuration 3: Remembering to take a break
A Pai Gow Poker session generally progresses slowly. If you feel that you are no longer playing as effectively as you were at the beginning or you are losing too much money, it means you probably need a little rest. Take the opportunity to take a nap or a walk for a few hours or even to completely stop playing for the day.
Configuration 4: Playing as the Banker whenever the opportunity arises
The role of Banker in Pai Gow Poker is much more profitable than any other. As the Banker, your rating and your chances of winning are much stronger and, the house advantage is almost non-existent. It is a good idea to ensure you play as the Banker as often as possible.